Monday 2 June 2014

A weekend without the internet... it went a lot better than I thought it would. Does this mean I'm growing as a person?

I don't know if people have heard, but this amazing thing is happening in August... The Doctor is returning to our screens and everytime I think about it, I vomit a little from excitement. Since finding out the news, I have been on yet another kick of going through the Doctor Who series on binge watch, this time starting with Season 4: AKA The Donna Noble Series. She is my second favourite companion of all time... I know you didn't ask for it, but the list for favourite companions goes as follows:

1. Rose Tyler
2. Donna Noble
3. Amy Pond
4. Rory Williams
5. Clara Oswald
6. Martha Jones

What are my reasons for loving Donna so much? Apart from the fact that I simply adore Catherine Tate, her series also has some of the funniest doctor/companion moments ever. These include the "Doctor: I just want a mate. Donna: You just want to mate?? I don't think so sunshine" moment, the "mime across the room on meeting for a second time" moment and, what has to be my most perfect and awesome Doctor Who moment of all time... The Unicorn and The Wasp episode where the doctor gets poisoned and Donna is trying to find him the anecdote ingredients in the kitchen... pure amazeballs.

Okay, this actually wasn't meant to be the point of this post, but more as a way of introduction to what I actually wanted to talk about, somehow I deviated... it always happens, it's like I'm physically incapable of just mentioning the show in passing... I'm sorry. I'll get back on point.

So, my intention for the weekend, as I said, was to watch this series and continue until I'd seen them all... obviously not all in one weekend, there aren't enough hours available for that, but at least to start this process. However, just as I finished the first episode (I was totally about to go off on a tangent about the Adipose in this episode, then reeled myself back in. Feel free to congratulate me) my trusty netflix, which I was using for the watching of the series, suddenly stopped on me. Long story short, our internet went down. It went down and it was not coming back up again, no matter how many times I closed down and reloaded both computer and firefox.

Now, the way our house is set out, the wifi box is located in one of my housemates' room downstairs. I knew that all it would take to get the internet up and running again, would be to reset this box. However, the housemate in question was not around and suddenly the access to this wifi was restricted. Upon realising this, I retreated back to my room, sat down on  my bed, looked around me, and realised that I had created a world within the confines of my house where there was very little I could do without use of the internet. I don't have a TV, a fact that I had previously been proud of  as I thought it meant I had become one of those people who wasn't reliant on TV to live my life. However, this weekend showed that all that really meant was that I didn't watch TV by the normal means, but rather substituted it with the internet and still managed to watch all my favourite shows. I had been living a life of denial and now that I had no way of accessing TV through the internet, I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do with myself.

I know there might be people out there who would suggest I could have just spent a day out or read a book, or done something that didn't involve fictional storylines and make believe, to these people I say... hindsight is 20:20, but at the time none of those options even came into my mind. Instead, I devised a game. It was an awesome game. I would watch my collection of films on DVD via a marathon, only there had to be a link between the film I was currently watching and the one I would watch next. This link was that the two films had to share at least one of the same actors. This was the day I realised that I have a lot of films with the same actors in it. There need to be more actors in the world, I feel. I mean actors do a lot of films. It's almost like they're trying to make a living out of it...

Anywho, I embarked over Saturday and Sunday on what turned out to be the best marathon ever. So awesome was it that, even though it's not a Fancy Thing Friday day, I'm going to give you these film recommendations anyway. Yes peeps, I'm whoring them out for free. You are most welcome. Feel free to use my marathon list/game. People have probably been playing it for years, but now that I've discovered it, I'm not going to be able to stop playing it. I might try it via netflix... My marathon went as follows:

1. I started off with the last couple of episodes of Parks and Recreation Series 1. (I think I like this show, I'll let you know if this turns into love)
Link: Amy Poelher
2. Mean Girls
Link: Tina Fey (Fey and Poehler should glue themselves together and never detach. They are my heros)
3. Date Night
Link: Mark Wahlberg
4. The Other Guys (seriously amazing film, by the way)
Link: Eva Mendes (Disclaimer: This one is very tedious, she cameos for about 5 seconds in the next film)
5. Knocked Up
Link: Leslie Mann
6. Change Up
Link: Olivia Wilde
7. In Time (not that great a movie, I will admit)
Link: Justin Timberlake
8. Friends with Benefits (it has its moments, but also not that great and has the most awful cheesy ending)
Link: Emma Stone/ Patricia Clarkson (bonus points for getting two actors! I awarded myself with a high five)
9. Easy A (quite simply one of the most amazing films of all time, if you haven't seen it, you haven't lived)
Link: Stanley Tucci
10. The Devil Wears Prada (freakin LOVE that movie)

I then planned for a:
Link: Anne Hathaway
11. Love and Other Drugs

but the internet started working again so out went that plan. Instead I curled up in bed and watched a series of Doctor Who I have not only seen before, but I have seen so many times, I can quote almost every line of most of the episodes... having said that, I still managed to refuse to go to bed until I had reached the last episode (before the specials begin) just because I needed to see the Doctor and Rose again, thus meaning that I didn't go to bed until about 3am this morning, which brings me to the comment that I wanted to make for this post, and that is:

I'm tired, so I probably won't have much to say today.

Peace out my lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment