Tuesday 21 January 2014

Weekly review: The Musketeers. Completely Spoiler Free!

No Spoilers are used within this post... You are welcome.

Sorry for lack of postage yesterday. Was ill and bed ridden.

I'm much better now though, so thought I'd pick up on what I was planning to write.

I'm very aware that I've started some different series of things on my blog this year. Most have been conscious decisions; Wind Back Wednesdays and Fancy Things Fridays. There is one though that seems to just simply have happened, mainly due to my obsession for all things Sherlock. And that is I appear to be writing weekly reviews on stuff. I'm not too sure if this is going to become a regular thing at the moment, because there might be a week when I don't watch anything to review... unlikely, but it may happen.

However, this week, I still find myself with things to review on as, now that Sherlock has ended, I have had to desperately find something new on the BBC to sink my teeth into/become obsessed about. Not unlike a drug addict finding her next fix. This is the reason I don't touch drugs... If I am able to get this obsessed with fictional fantasy places, living in my TV screen, I dread to think what would happen should I take something that actually has addictive qualities.

The BBC, being clever and knowing that there would be a lot of people feeling the same way after Sherlock was taken away, has been sneakily feeding in trailers for a new BBC drama called The Musketeers, which was scheduled to start (surprise, surprise) the week after Sherlock had ended. This was very good advertising which I fell for completely and wholeheartedly.

The premise of this TV show appeared to be telling the classic Musketeers story and making it hella sexy with good looking men wearing leather and fighting other men, whilst having sexy times with women and, basically, just throwing testosterone around the screen for 60 minutes. Naturally, I was intrigued.

I would say, at this point, that it didn't disappoint. I mean, we all knew what we were getting ourselves into upon turning on our TV screens, with trailers like below:


It delivered exactly what was advertised... although whether it delivered much else aside from this, is still left to be seen.

I want to be clear, I did enjoy the episode. I might even attempt watching it again tonight to see if this enjoyment is increased further. However, in terms of whether it will be winning any awards for being amazing? Not too sure. It also was just the pilot episode. And there were introductions to storylines that could go places. So I guess I won't be able to fully tell until I have seen more.

Also... Peter Capaldi (AKA: Our new Doctor) is in this series. He plays the classic bad guy, and has already succeeded in making me not like his character, although I don't know if this is a good thing. I'm pretty sure I don't want to associate the image of this man with that of the Doctor. I might get confused when Doctor Who begins later in the year and my already conflicting emotions on losing Matt Smith will just get worse and then I won't be able to love the Doctor anymore... who am I kidding? I will always love the Doctor... but I'm just saying, there might be conflict involved.

I wanted this review to be more detailed, especially for those of my overseas Internetual friends who may not have heard of it yet, and want to know more. However, the fact of the matter is, there's just not that much to talk about with it yet. I am definitely intrigued enough to watch again next week. And hopefully there'll be more to say, but until then... there really is nothing to add that isn't already portrayed in the trailer.

There is one character I really like so far. One of the women called Constance, who has had a few good funny lines in the first episode and an instant likeability to her. Other than that, not many attachments have been formed... apart from the general enjoyment of the good looking men and their testosterone. That was nice, but then that's a given.

The writer and creator of the series is Adrian Hodges, who wrote the screenplay for My Week With Marilyn, which I remember enjoying... vaguely... I think. He's written a lot of other TV dramas, none of which I've ever seen so it's fair to say I'm not really a follower of his work. But, in case you might be interested and recognise some of it; the big ones seem to be: Survivors and Primeval... so there you go. You're welcome.

That's about as much as I have to say for the time being. Overall, the opinion seems to be I didn't hate it, but it didn't exactly blow me away either. It was... fun. That's the word. Fun. And I'm also willing to watch more, which is definitely a good sign. I'll keep you posted.

Peace out my lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment